|The Mining and Reclamation Division regulates all surface mines in the state as provided for in the Mississippi Surface Mining and Reclamation Act of 1977 (Sec. 53-7-1 et seq., Miss. Code 1972). Activities include:
- issuing surface mining permits and notices of exempt operations
- inspecting permitted areas and investigating complaints
- overseeing the reclamation done by operators, and
- enforcing the law as per the promulgated Rules and Regulations, Commission orders, and Attorney General's rulings.
The state's mines produce sand, gravel, clay, bentonite, chalk, and limestone. There are no underground mines in the state.
*NOTE- Information may appear in Adobe® Reader® format. To obtain a free copy of this software, click here.
The division is also responsible for enforcing the Mississippi Surface Coal Mining and Reclamation Act (Sec. 53-9-1 et seq., Miss. Code 1972). This law deals only with the mining of coal and lignite.
- Click here to view the Mississippi Surface Coal Mining Rules and Regulations.
The Mining and Reclamation Division handles surface mine regulation, permitting, and reclamation. The staff are available to answer questions and requests for information about rules and regulations, permit application requirements, and any needed forms.
|MDEQ, Office of Pollution Control, Compliance and Enforcement Division, Solid Waste and Mining Division|
U. S. Department of the Interior, Office of Surface Mining (OSM)
|Click here for the Mining and Reclamation Division staff directory.|
700 North State St.
Jackson, MS 39202
Link to Map
Office of Geology
P. O. Box 2279
Jackson, MS 39225