|UST Compliance Managers and UST Operation Clerks – Operator Training|
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 and the Mississippi Underground Storage Tank Regulations (11 Miss. Admin. Code, Pt. 5, Ch. 2) effective August 25, 2011 require that every UST facility shall have a designated and trained UST Compliance Manager and that every manned UST facility shall have a designated and trained UST Operations Clerk on duty at any time petroleum fuel is dispensed. These regulations were enacted to prevent releases and ensure effective responses occur when releases do occur to safeguard the health, safety, and welfare of present and future generations of Mississippians. All facilities must have trained UST Compliance Managers and UST Operation Clerks by August 8, 2012.
MDEQ sponsored workshop
Please contact 601-961-5117 for the date of the next available MDEQ sponsored workshop. The workshop will be held at the Department's offices in Jackson, Mississippi located at 515 East Amite Street. The workshop will begin at 9:00 a.m. and end at 1:00 p.m. We request participants to arrive by 8:45 a.m. for registration purposes. No pre-registration is required.
Please note: The person attending the workshop must be in a responsible management position and must complete and pass an examination at the end of the workshop.
Options for training for UST Compliance Managers
UST Compliance Managers must successful complete any one of the MDEQ approved training programs. Approved training include:
MDEQ approved training courses
MDEQ UST Compliance Workshop
In-house training recognized by MDEQ
Reciprocity with another state as long as the owner has at least one (1) active facility in that state
Options for Training for UST Operations Clerks
UST Operations Clerks (Class C Operator) must receive training by the designated UST Compliance Manager or a MDEQ approved training course. The training must provide instruction to properly respond to emergencies involving the operation of the UST system that pose an immediate danger or threat to the public or the environment and properly respond to alarms caused by spills, leaks or releases from an UST system.
Trained by the designated UST Compliance Manager
MDEQ Approved Training Courses
When must training be completed:
August 8, 2012 for existing underground storage tank facilities
After August 8, 2012 for new facilities and new UST Compliance Managers and UST Operation Clerks
MDEQ does not require retraining or continuing education for UST Compliance Managers or UST Operation Clerks unless a facility does not meet significant operational compliance requirements *. If a facility does not meet significant operations requirements, the tank owner will be required to ensure the UST Compliance Manager is retrained within 6 months or a new UST Compliance Manager must be selected for the facility.
* NOTE: Significant Operational Compliance has been defined by EPA to include the following:
· Release detection method is present
· Release detection system is operating properly (can detect a release)
· Release detection method meets performance standards
· MDEQ has been notified of a suspected release
· 8 out of 12 months of release detection records are available for the most
recent 12 months
· Spill prevention is present and functional
· Overfill prevention device is present and operational
· Repaired tanks and piping were tightness tested within 30 days of repair
· CP systems were tested within 6 months of repair
· Corrosion Protection system is properly operated and maintained
· Impressed current systems are inspected every 60 days
· All necessary components are equipped with corrosion protection