If you suspect that product has leaked from your UST system, you must:
- Verbally report the suspected release to the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality within 24 hours. Monday though Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. call 601-961-5171 to report a release. After hours and on weekends call 601-352-9100.
- Take immediate action to prevent further release of product. (i.e. turn off the power to the pumps, stop the flow from the tanker truck.)
- Identify and mitigate fire, explosion, or vapor hazards.
- Submit a written report within 10 days of the release to the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, UST Branch, P. O. Box 2261, Jackson, MS 39225-2261.
| To report any suspected release Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., call|
601-961-5171. To report a suspected release during any other time, call 601-352-9100.
|Reportable releases include the following:|
- 1/8 inch or more of product found in any monitoring well
- vapor well readings that are considered reportable according to the manufacturer, or display of a sudden or consistent increase;
- a precision tank/line tightness test failure;
- inventory control records that reflect an overage/shortage greater than 1% of monthly throughput (1% of sales/deliveries) plus 130 gallons for two consecutive months;
- anytime an inconclusive or fail is declared for one month using statistical inventory reconciliation;
- a spill or overfill in which more than 25 gallons of product is released;
- the discovery of free product or vapors in the soil, utility lines, sewers, or other areas at or around the UST facility; and
- unusual operating conditions such as erratic behavior of dispensing equipment (i.e., automatic line leak detectors) or an unexplained presence of water in the tank.