Subscribe to the
Solid Waste/Recycling Home
MDEQ's Office Program
Recycling and Pollution Prevention
Starting a Program
Task Force On Recycling
Who We Assist
1. From which natural resource is aluminum manufactured?
Bauxite Ore -
Bauxite is a rock that is mined in the Caribbean Islands and South America. There is an enormous amount of energy used to extract bauxite from the ground as well as convert it to aluminum. Recycling your aluminum cans and scrap saves this energy.
2. From which natural resources are glass bottles manufactured?
Sand, Soda Ash and Limestone.
This mixture is put into a hot furnace and melted at temperatures of around 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit. As it cools it hardens and becomes clear. Using recycled glass in these furnaces actually saves energy since recycled glass (cullet) melts at a lower temperature than the above raw material.
3. From which natural resources are plastics manufactured
Natural gas and oil
4. How many years does it take for an aluminum can to decompose?
a. 20 years or less
b. 20 to 50 years
c. 50 to 80 years
d. 80 to 100 years
80 to 100 years
How many years does it take for a glass container to decompose?
a. 100 years or less
b. 100 to 500 years
c. 500 to 1000 years
d. Over 1 million years
Over 1 million years
6. Rather than recycling your used motor oil you choose to dump it down the street drain outside your house. Where does it go?
a. Flows to the wastewater treatment plant
b. Flows untreated directly to the river or ocean
c. Flows to the landfill
What happens to most of the solid waste in Mississippi?
a. Buried in landfills
d. Illegally dumped or burned
Buried in landfills
What item is found in more abundance in our landfills?
Approximately 42% of what is in buried in our landfills is paper. Most of this paper is in the form of corrugated boxes, newspapers, telephone books and office paper. All of these are readily recyclable in many areas of Mississippi.
Which of the following recyclable materials comes from a renewable resource?
- Paper is a renewable resource generated from trees.
Every day each person in the United States throws away approximately how many pounds of trash?
a. 3 pounds or less
b. 4 to 5 pounds
c. 5 to 6 pounds
d. Over 6 pounds
4 to 5 pounds
Every ton of paper recycled conserves how many trees?
a. 5 trees
b. 12 trees
c. 17 trees
d. 22 trees
Which of these is not a natural resource?
A landfill is where trash can be buried?
Which of these is a fossil fuel?
What day is Earth Day celebrated?
a. March 25
b. April 22
c. August 20
d. November 15
Which nation has 6% of the world's population and produces 40% of the world's garbage?
e. United States
What is the number one recycled material in the United States?
What is the date of the annual America Recycles Day?
a. January 15
b. April 15
c. July 15
d. November 15
Which United States government agency was created to help protect the environment?
a. Department of Energy
b. Department of Education
c. Department of Defense
d. Environmental Protection Agency
Environmental Protection Agency - EPA
Used motor oil from cars and trucks can and should be recycled?
- Used motor oil can be recycled in Mississippi at Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Wal-Mart SuperCenter's Tire & Lube Center, and other locations in the state. Used motor oil is collected and either re-refined into new oil products or blended with other fuels to be burned in industrial boilers to create energy. Recycling used motor oil reduces our nations dependence on overseas oil. Never place used motor oil in the garbage, nor pour it into the street drains.
Copyright 2007 ® Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.