The Office of Land and Water Resources (OLWR) is charged with conserving, managing, and protecting the water resources of Mississippi. The agency regulates water quantity issues affecting the beneficial use of these resources in the best interest and welfare of the citizens of the state.
The assigned responsibilities of the Office include:
- issuing permits for groundwater withdrawal and surface water diversion and impoundment in the state,
- licensing and regulating water well contractors/drillers,
- conducting technical investigations of the water resources in the state,
- monitoring water use,
- maintaining water-related information in computer databases,
- publishing various reports and maps,
- monitoring dam safety in the state,
- developing regional groundwater-flow models,
- measuring water-level changes in the state's major aquifers,
- monitoring stream flows throughout Mississippi, and
- providing technical assistance to the public, various stakeholders, and other governmental entities on various water-related issues.
- future responsibilities include the development of a statewide water plan to address the proper management and protection of Mississippi's valuable water resources.
|Investigate, monitor, and manage aquifers of state.||Ensure safety of dams in state.|
Source Water Protection
Identifies public water systems that may be susceptible to contamination and to adopt appropriate management measures that will enhance their protection.
Conducts investigations and evaluations of the available surface water resources throughout the state.
|Water Use||Well Drillers|
|Collects and disseminate freshwater withdrawals in the state.||License and regulate water well drillers.|
|Permitting and Monitoring|
|Permit withdrawal and diversion of water resources.|
State water regulations, permit applications, and various forms in MS Word and Adobe PDF format
Frequently Asked Questions and Guidance
Available OLWR publications and brief descriptions of current water investigations
Click here for the Office of Land and Water Resources' staff directory.
|Street Address||Mailing Address|
|700 North State St.|
Jackson, MS 39202
|Office of Land and Water Resources:|
P. O. Box 2309
Jackson, MS 39225